[Xen-users] Kernel Headers for Xen Kernel

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Kernel Headers for Xen Kernel
From: Olaf <no_address_here@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2005 08:36:11 +0200
Delivery-date: Mon, 01 Aug 2005 10:45:11 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

My apologies for posting this question on this list but I figured that the Debian aficionados on this list might be more familiar with the issue than the general Debian user. As for the question itself, it most likely will attest more to my lack of knowledge than any issue with Xen.

Ok, here we go: How do I generate the source header files for a 2.6.11 kernel patched with Xen 2.0.6?

Some background: I´m trying to compile a few special modules (ibmsmb, for the IBM Director Agent, and zaphfc, for HFC-based ISDN cards, in case anyone is interested) and their Makefiles assume the presence of kernel source header files in case they are build against a 2.6 kernel. That is, some meaningful code in /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build/include/linux...

I´m using the unstable packages kernel-source-2.6.11 and the kernel-patch-xen to generate the source tree. I also copied the .config from the xen0 directory created when downloading the xen 2.0.6 source distribution. Trying to build a kernel package using

make-kpkg --added patches=xen --config=menuconfig --arch=xen --subarch=xen --revision=xenserver.0.1 kernel-image

works just fine (but I should admit that I haven´t tried that kernel) and generates a Debian kernel package in /usr/src. However trying the same with

make-kpkg --added patches=xen --config=menuconfig --arch=xen --subarch=xen --revision=xenserver.0.1 kernel-image kernel_headers

still generates only the kernel-package.

Doing just a

make-kpkg kernel_headers

is successful in creating a kernel-headers package but I´m wondering if that´s then for the right architecture.

At this point I´m well willing to do away with the luxury of Debian packages if only I could compile the darn modules. Hence the broad question about _any_ way to generate the header files. If there´s a neat way to generate a Debian package, that would be to good to be true. I should also mention that I´d appreciate any not so subtle hint what I´m missing here.

Thanks in advance
    Olaf