Re: [Xen-users] Watchdog support in XEN?

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Watchdog support in XEN?
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 21:13:22 +0100
Cc: "Andreas Bach Aaen \(AH/TED\)" <andreas.bach.aaen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 20:11:55 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> So my question does XEN provide a "hardware" watchdog that the user domains
> can use?
> It might be safer that the counter and trigger resides in the XEN domain
> than in the user domains.

A sensible and straightforward way to do this would be to wait for the
XenStore code to be fully merged, then set up an attribute in the XenStore
which is written to periodically by the domU to say that it's live.  A daemon
in dom0 can watch this and restart the domain if the attribute isn't updated
for a while.  The hypervisor won't need to know about this.

Cheers,
Mark