[Xen-users] Watchdog support in XEN?

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Watchdog support in XEN?
From: "Andreas Bach Aaen (AH/TED)" <andreas.bach.aaen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 21:53:54 +0200
Delivery-date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 19:52:43 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Many physical PCs have a hardware watchdog. This is a good way of getting up
and running again if you somehow have a bug that causes a deadlock.
If you run linux in DomU you will have to use a software watchdog. The kernel
provides such a software watchdog. But could there be scenarios where the
DomU domain will lockup without the software watchdog goes off?
Interrupts?

So my question does XEN provide a "hardware" watchdog that the user domains
can use?
It might be safer that the counter and trigger resides in the XEN domain than
in the user domains.

Regards,
--
Andreas Bach Aaen              System Developer, M. Sc.
Ericsson Danmark A/S           tel: +45 89 38 51 00