Re: [Xen-users] vifs and networking

On Thu, 2005-06-02 at 06:04, root wrote:
>         # vif = [ 'mac=bb:00:00:00:00:10, bridge=xen-br0',
>         'mac=bb:00:00:00:00:11' ]

These are multicast MAC addresses. If you choose you own MACs then make
sure the low bit of the first byte (i.e. bb in this case) is zero. I
suggest only manually assigning MACs when you need to use DHCP;
otherwise let xend do it. You can just specify "vif = [
'bridge=xen-br0', ... ]"

> 1.) does eth0 have a limit of devices that can be attached to it ?

The limit will be on the bridge, this is set to 256 and 1024 in current
versions of Linux 2.4 and 2.6 respectively.

> 2.) if I un-comment out the vif statement in dom 3 (WebServer) I get all
> 7  vif's associated with xen-br0, but I lose connectivity to xen-br0
> from dom3 (WebServer)?  (dom 1 and dom 2 stay connected to xen-br0)

Almost certainly use of multicast addresses, see above.

> note to self:   when adding config files to /etc/xen/auto/   they will
> execute in alphabetical order by domain name, regardless if you think
> the DMZ should fire up before the App server or whether you assign an
> numeric order to mac's.

This is akin to the way most Linux distributions' initscripts work (i.e.
rcX.d. If you don't want to name the config files in alphabetical
startup order then you can name the symlink in the auto directory,
perhaps prefixing with a number:

e.g.

/etc/xen/auto/10DMZ -> ../xm-my-dmz-domain
/etc/xen/auto/20app -> ../xm-my-app-domain

HTH,

James