[Xen-users] vifs and networking

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] vifs and networking
From: root <root@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2005 00:04:59 -0500
Delivery-date: Thu, 02 Jun 2005 11:55:40 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I have a "flat" network working great, dom0 and three guests (dom1-3) I
can all ping the net from each of the 4 dom's, and each dom can ping the
other dom.

Guests one and two (dom1 and dom2) have the following config file with
nics specified at 3 and 2 respectively:

        The Firewall (dom1)
        # Number of network interfaces. Default is 1.
        nics=3

        # Optionally define mac and/or bridge for the network
        interfaces.
        # Random MACs are assigned if not given.
        vif = [ 'mac=00:00:00:00:00:10, bridge=xen-br0',
        'mac=00:00:00:00:00:11', 'mac=00:00:00:00:00:12' ]
        THE APP SERVER (dom2)
        # Number of network interfaces. Default is 1.
        nics=2

        # Optionally define mac and/or bridge for the network
        interfaces.
        # Random MACs are assigned if not given.
        vif = [ 'mac=cc:00:00:00:00:10, bridge=xen-br0',
        'mac=cc:00:00:00:00:11' ]

The dom3, the Web Server has the following configuration with nics and
vif's commented out to use the default settings:
        The Webserver  dom3
        # Number of network interfaces. Default is 1.
        # nics=2

        # Optionally define mac and/or bridge for the network
        interfaces.
        # Random MACs are assigned if not given.
        # vif = [ 'mac=bb:00:00:00:00:10, bridge=xen-br0',
        'mac=bb:00:00:00:00:11' ]

If I un-comment the vif statement in dom3 (Webserver) then I lose
connectivity to xen-br0 and eth0 to the outside world, but I do get the
7 vif's attached to xen-br0.

What I really want is vif1.0  vif2.0   vif3.0 attached to xen-br0   and
vif 1.1 and vif 3.1 atached to a bridge called xen-=brDMZ   and vif1.2
and vif2.1 attached to a bridge called xen-brINTERNAL.

1.) does eth0 have a limit of devices that can be attached to it ?

2.) if I un-comment out the vif statement in dom 3 (WebServer) I get all
7  vif's associated with xen-br0, but I lose connectivity to xen-br0
from dom3 (WebServer)?  (dom 1 and dom 2 stay connected to xen-br0)

note to self:   when adding config files to /etc/xen/auto/   they will
execute in alphabetical order by domain name, regardless if you think
the DMZ should fire up before the App server or whether you assign an
numeric order to mac's.

Thanks to all/whomever

(is there a xen unselfish advisor of the year award, I nominate Ian
Pratt)