Re: [Xen-users] Xen reboots on dom-U disk stress...

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Xen reboots on dom-U disk stress...
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 14:56:16 +0100
Cc: Roland Paterson-Jones <roland@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 11 May 2005 13:56:29 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Yes, spot on, it was running out of page space in dom-0 after which
> Linux seemed to go on a process killing spree before turning the gun on
> itself and rebooting. Not very pretty.

Yuk.  Computer guts ;-)

> And yes, NFS + loopback looks particularly ugly. I got it to finally run
> with 1G in dom-0!

Yowee!  I've looked in portions of both the NFS and the loopback code but I
admit I don't really know why it's such a memory hog :-/

> We're trying GNDB, iSCSI et al... (any preferences?)

From what I've heard, GNBD works pretty well and has the best performance of
the NBDs.  iSCSI is more sophisticated but may well be overkill for your
needs.

With GNBD I imagine it's a simple matter to get the daemon to serve out the
disk file, so it should be pretty easy to convert your setup.  You could then
either have the domain use GNBD root (probably booting with an initrd), or
just re-export the device from dom0 as you have been doing.

Cheers,
Mark