xen-ppc-devel

Re: [XenPPC] [xenppc-unstable] [XEN][POWERPC] Linker script simplificati

the original script came from binutils and we simply adapted it.

Yes, but that script is meant for userspace things and isn't
the right thing for your environment.

I tried to simplify but I was unable to predict all the gcc created sections for various gcc flags (esp -O2), so I just put all that stuff back.

GCC won't create too many sections, just a few, unless you
do something terribly wrong.

I'll try another pass at another time, when I can test all scenarios.

Good to hear.  I consider this patch reversion to be a
regression though.

There is a huge degree of risk playing here, you can imagine how hard an issues from a dropped section would be hard to detect.

I tend to fix such issues, they're not hard to detect at all
(almost all of the time) -- dropped sections lead to hard
crashes really easily ;-)

Figuring out what is wrong is another thing -- often it is
*not* the linker script but something else btw, you just
get lucky with a certain script and a certain binutils
version but unlucky with another combo.

Perhaps ld has options to warn when badness occurs.

Yeah it can do many of those things.

Again -- do you have a testcase for the failure that made
you revert this patch?

Segher