xen-ppc-devel

Re: [Xen-devel] [patch 01/10] Generate headers with arch-specific struct

To: Hollis Blanchard <hollisb@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] [patch 01/10] Generate headers with arch-specific structs.
From: Gerd Hoffmann <kraxel@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 18:04:44 +0100
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, xen-ppc-devel <xen-ppc-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 09:04:48 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hollis Blanchard wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-12-04 at 11:58 +0100, Gerd Hoffmann wrote:
>> plain text document attachment (xen-generate-foreign-headers.diff)
>> This patch adds a script to generate headers with arch-specific
>> structs which can be included on any architecture.  Can be used
>> to deal with structs of "foreign" architectures, needed for
>> 32-on-64 support for example.
>
> This omits PowerPC; is that because we've made sure not to use
> variable-sized types?

No.  It's because (a) I don't have a working cross compiler and (b)
because it's the only bigendian architecture, so just generating those
headers isn't enough to have any other (xen-supported) architectures
access powerpc structs correctly.  So I decided to just leave it as-is
for now.  It certaily can be added, feel free to send patches ;)

> Even if that's the case, shouldn't we still have headers in
> xen/include/public/foreign, since otherwise external tools #including
> those headers will break?

Tools don't need them as long as the code is compiled native only.  The
(very incomplete) xc_dom_powerpc.c file of the new domain builder simply
includes xen.h and arch-ppc.h.

The rewritten domain builder uses the foreign headers for
xc_dom_{x86,ia64}.c, because these source files are compiled on all
three little endian architectures.  A real practical use this has for
x86 only, for upcoming 32-on-64 support.  Compiling ia64 is handy
sometimes as you'll easily notice at least some kinds of build failures
even without a ia64 box.  There is no real use (yet?), although I can
think of some (poking informations out of ia64 suspend/core images on
x86 boxes for example).

[ see
http://www.suse.de/~kraxel/patches/unstable-hg12663-20061201-quilt/tools-domain-builder-core.diff
]