xen-ppc-devel

Re: [XenPPC] ppc domain tools

On Nov 29, 2006, at 6:40 PM, Hollis Blanchard wrote:

On Wed, 2006-11-29 at 14:37 -0700, Yoder Stuart-B08248 wrote:
The wiki page says:
  The Domain Tools cannot be cross built and must be built
  on a Linux PowerPC machine.

I was curious why this is?

I've just got Xen booting a Dom0 Linux on the 970 Simulator
and am wondering if I really need to build the tools on
PPC.  I don't have a real PPC machine handy (but will
track one down if necessary).

Hi Stuart, IIRC the problem is the Makefiles for the python code made
some assumptions about the host. I don't remember the exact issue now,
but if you want to give it a try and see how it goes I'd love to hear
about it.

A lot of that has been fixed. The main problem as I see it is installing all the packages necessary into the cross environment, see the list in:
  http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenPPC/Run/XM

The good news is that all the management tools are 32 bit so any Linux PPC machine will do, there are some places that can give you open access to a box:
  http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/openpower/

or maybe a 32bit emulator with a distro already setup for it like:
  http://pearpc.sourceforge.net/about.html

-JX