xen-ppc-devel

Re: [Xen-devel] [rfc] [patch] more 'long' in the hypervisor interface

Hollis Blanchard wrote:
On Thu, 2006-06-29 at 10:37 -0400, Steve Ofsthun wrote:

For X86 there are probably two plans.  For paravirtual guests, there is a
strong desire to formalize the existing ABI.  This will force the 32-bit
and 64-bit ABIs to remain significantly different.  Since the underlying
hypervisors don't allow 32/64 mixed mode guests, there is little reason
to reconcile the two ABIs.  If the ABIs were identical today, you still
couldn't run mixed mode guests.

Not sure I follow here. Identical ABIs would enable mixed mode guests,
even if the current implementation doesn't support that, right? So that
sounds like a good goal.

Yes, identical ABIs would enable mixed mode guests.  I was just trying to
point out that there are other issues (page table sharing, etc) that would
also need to be addressed before mixed mode PV guests would work.

Steve
--
Steve Ofsthun - Virtual Iron Software, Inc.