xen-ppc-devel

Re: [XenPPC] JS21/SLOF net boot commands

On Jun 20, 2006, at 8:38 PM, Segher Boessenkool wrote:

We already have Xen including the dom0 binary. It works, but it's lame.
As Jimi says, pieces are far better.

If you could tell us _why_ exactly it is lame, we probably could
work out a solution together that'd work better than any of us
would imagine right now.

hmm, to me the benefits are pretty clear, and are similar to a zImage vs. a vmlinuz/initrd prvided by yaboot or grub. The xen case is more pathological in that we want a 3rd but primary xen image, this is most certainly the reason why xen requires the multi-boot features of grub.

Once all the images exist on disk (as in the _default_ distro install) we'll use a bootloader that can access all these images, but during the development cycle (or large data centers or clusters) obtaining images over network can be desirable.

My selfish reason? Xen is 0.5MiB my vmlinux is 7Mib, my xen changes way more (at the moment) and I have a test machine in Germany, 'nuf said.

Oh, and Jimi is FOS (inside joke, sorry all spectators).
Dude, if this was your pain, you'd fix it :-P
-JX