xen-ppc-devel

Re: [XenPPC] JS21/SLOF net boot commands

On Mon, 2006-06-19 at 20:04 -0400, Jimi Xenidis wrote:
> I posted these "hacks", because people were asking me how I loaded
> images separately on this machine.
> There is no architected design, just another hack for a insufficient
>
> Except for the "load anywhere" argument, which I would like to see
> eventually, you guys are FOS.

load-anywhere & kexec-compatible I think are both critical (and actually
encompass all of my concerns).

> There is a Xen work-a-round for every single issue you guys raise,
> I'm just describing a way that accelerate the boot process over a
> network on a specific piece of HW.

> In a production environment with SLOF, a bootloader will obtain n
> images (2 for yaboot, N for grub) from the disk, which is a runtime
> IO method SLOF supports.

What exactly is the production environment?

If it is to be SLOF then clearly it does not currently meet the
requirements you've suggested (i.e. grub/yaboot).

It is also questionable if an x86-like boot-loader (yaboot/grub) should
be a requirement - Linux does not require one.  I'd argue that a
bootloader is really only required if you want a nicer user experience
for selecting from among various boot images.  If you're net-booting
then there's really no need for a boot-loader - you select images by
writing the desired image to the location that netboot will download
from. In a (server) production environment I would think it simpler to
just boot using FW services directly (i.e. single image that has
everything embedded).

--
Michal Ostrowski <mostrows@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>