xen-ppc-devel

Re: [XenPPC] [xenppc-unstable] [ppc] some OF implementations do not take

I'm willing to bet that closing stdin will require that init phase, assuming I'm correct, we have 4 options:

If you write to the ihandle that is in /chosen/stdout...

1) probe the devtree for all the serial port settings and fully init the driver.

Should work fine.

2) require the bootparam to have the correct serial setting and fully init the driver

Also works fine.

3) figure out another way decide if we close stdin or not (stdin ! = stdout? detect that it is not USB?)

Closing stdin should work fine on any OF (as long as OF doesn't want/ need
to read any console input anymore).

4) since this is specifically a SLOF on JS20 problem get the SLOf guys to do something about it.

Great option, too!

If the ihandle you use for console is _not_ the ihandle in /chosen/ stdout, but instead an instance that you opened from the corresponding device node
yourself:

1) You have to make those settings yourself, when you open the device.
Although SLOF/JS2x just ignores that and uses 8N1, 19200, no flow control.

2) Same as previous 2); "console=ttyS0,19200" works for me...

3) "if (firmware version is terminally broken) { /* argh */
do_whatever();}
if (firmware is SLOF) { goto 4); }

4) Please tell us about it?  All details help -- exactly what you
did, full boot log, pointer to your code, etc.

Segher