xen-merge

Re: [Xen-merge] CONFIG_XEN (and more?)

To: "Magenheimer, Dan (HP Labs Fort Collins)" <dan.magenheimer@xxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-merge] CONFIG_XEN (and more?)
From: Chris Wright <chrisw@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 09:59:23 -0700
Cc: xen-merge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 16:57:34 +0000
Sender: xen-merge-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
* Magenheimer, Dan (HP Labs Fort Collins) (dan.magenheimer@xxxxxx) wrote:
> Is the top level CONFIG option planned to be CONFIG_XEN?
> Will CONFIG_XEN turn on any changes in Linux common code
> that may not be necessary changes for non-x86?

For the moment, yes. That's what we're using on x86_32/64 side too.
I don't know how long those will last w/out becoming more general.
Certainly for the purpose of patch submission/discussion with Linux/ia64
it's reasonable.  But perhaps it should become something that's more
feature specific it that's possible, so x86 Xen and ia64 Xen configs can
enable/disable as needed?

> I'm submitting some patches to Linux/ia64 as a foundation
> for Xen/ia64 support... I'm hoping that just enabling
> CONFIG_XEN via the top level Kconfig will do the right
> thing regardless of architecture.

What do the patches look like?  Maybe there's overlap with what we're
already working on...

thanks,
-chris