[Xen-ia64-devel] [patch 00/12] ia64: kexec: Map EFI memory in the same l

To: xen-ia64-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-ia64-devel] [patch 00/12] ia64: kexec: Map EFI memory in the same location as Linux (v20080423)
From: Simon Horman <horms@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 15:52:48 +0900
Cc: Aron Griffis <aron@xxxxxx>, Isaku Yamahata <yamahata@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Alex Williamson <alex.williamson@xxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 18:32:51 -0700
Sender: xen-ia64-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

here is another spin of the kexec EFI patches.

This patchset adds repining of the VPD (privregs) in the ITLB which
fixes a bug whereby the hypervisor would lock up when HVM domains
were launched.

Standard Intro:

This series is what I believe to be a fairly complete set of patches to map
EFI memory into the same location that Linux does.  The memory is protected
by an RID so that it doesn't conflict with domain memory - which also
protects it from malicious access from HVM domains.

The primary motivation for this is that EFI memory can only be mapped once
- a restriction in the EFI specification. Thus for kexec betwen Xen and
  Linux, including kdump of Xen (into Linux), EFI memory needs to be mapped
in the same location in both Xen and Linux.

The first goal of these patches it to create a kexec enabled xen ia64
without regressions. The second is to create a working kexec for ia64. I
believe that this series is very close to reaching the first goal, and
driver issues aside (more below), also very close to reaching the second
goal.

I have tested these patches on a Tiger 2, RX rx2620 and HP rx3600.
Thanks to Alex Williamson and HP for making the latter available to me.
Thanks to Fujitsu for supplying most of the other machines.

I recommend testing these patches using:

  Xen
  http://xenbits.xensource.com/ext/ia64/xen-unstbale.hg
  Revision: 17209:8c921adf4833

  Linux-Xen
  http://xenbits.xensource.com/ext/ia64/linux-2.6.18-xen.hg
  Revision: 17465:1fbc9073a566

  Kexec-Tools
  http://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/horms/kexec-tools/
  Revision: 20080324

  Linux
  Revision: 2.6.25-rc3 (I expect 2.6.25 also works)