[Xen-ia64-devel] paravirt_ops and its alternatives

To: <xen-ia64-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-ia64-devel] paravirt_ops and its alternatives
From: "Dong, Eddie" <eddie.dong@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 08:21:51 +0800
Delivery-date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 16:25:54 -0800
Sender: xen-ia64-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Alex & All:
        Here is a gap analysis for paravirt_ops, can you all comment?
        In summary we have 4 catagory of jobs:
        1: CPU paravirt_ops including MMU & timer & interrupt
        2: Xen hooks
        3: irq chip paravirt_ops, xen irq chip or vSAPIC?
        4: dma for driver domain

        My understanding is that the effort is almost similar for each
part, while all various alternatives such as pre-virtualization, binary
patching (privify) or even unmodified Linux as dom0 only save part of #1
effort, which means less than 25% effort saving. Do we really want a
temporary solution for 25%- effort saving?
        So I would suggest we go with paravirt_ops which is the Linux
community direction to avoid resource fragmentation.
        The writeup is very draft and I am planning to spend more time
in investigation, comments are welcome.
thx, eddie