[Xen-ia64-devel] [patch 00/16] Kexec v20080125 - xen

To: xen-ia64-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-ia64-devel] [patch 00/16] Kexec v20080125 - xen
From: Simon Horman <horms@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 17:19:58 +0900
Delivery-date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 00:39:06 -0800
Sender: xen-ia64-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

Sorry that it has been so long since I have posted patches here.
And doubly sorry that this batch still has problems. But here goes anyway.

The major changes:
- Fix up the EFI RID code
  - I was mistakenly using rr[6] and rr[7] instead of rr[6<<61] and
    rr[7<<61]. Or in other words I was setting the RID of region 0
    (twice) instead of the RID of regions 6 and 7. Once I fixed
    this minor oversight I was left with very much not working code.
  - Implemented repining of TR entries when switching rr[7] to EFI_RID.
  - Turned off VHPT for EFI_RID.
  - This all took way to long!
- Unpinning
  - The unpinning of both the rebooting cpu and other cpus was wrong.
    I have fixed this (I hope).
- I also fixed some problems that Alex Williamson saw on an HP rx3600.
  I hope they haven't regressed in the mean time.

Base:

This patch is based on ext/ia64/xen-unstable.hg revision 16216:9adec82f7bfe.
It is an old revision becuase the following patch adds a TR entry for
the heap, which needs to be unpinned on kexec. I made a botched
attempt to do this, then got side-tracked by the RID offset issue above.
I believe that subsequently thee xen heap tr patch has been removed.
In any case, I indend to upport soon :-)

Testing:

This code has been tested on an HP rx2620 and a Tiger 4
(n.b I usually use a Tiger 2).

Problems:

Kexecing from Xen -> Xen has been the major focus and that seems to work.
In testing just before the release I noticed that both Kexec Xen -> Linux
and Kdump (Xen -> Linux) seem to get stuck in purgatory - I hate it when
that happens! I will investigate this problem.

For now, unless you're feeling particularly giving with your time,
please just test Xen -> Xen kexec.

Other known problems are listed in the PROBLEMS file.
http://www.vergenet.net/linux/kexec/ia64-xen//20080125/broken_out/PROBLEMS

Other patches:

There is a xen-linux patch to relocate_new_kernel. This is required.
For the companion patch in this series.

Away:

I will be attending Linux.Conf.Au in Melbourne next week.
If anyone who is attending wants to catch up please let me know.

--
Horms