Re: [Xen-ia64-devel] Xen/ia64 roadmap

To: Alex Williamson <alex.williamson@xxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-ia64-devel] Xen/ia64 roadmap
From: Isaku Yamahata <yamahata@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 11:22:18 +0900
Cc: xen-ia64-devel <xen-ia64-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 19:22:45 -0700
Sender: xen-ia64-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Wed, Oct 17, 2007 at 10:03:14AM -0600, Alex Williamson wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
>    The next Xen Summit is quickly approaching, so I thought it would be
> a good time to start a thread on what our roadmap looks like for 3.2 and
> beyond.  To get started, here's a quick list of things that are in
> progress, I've heard of, and random ideas.
>
>       * Kexec/Kdump
>       * HVM domain save/restore
>       * eepro100 Qemu driver
>       * Support for more HVM guest OS varieties
>       * Better NUMA support
>       * HVM domain migration
>       * VT-d support
>       * Windows VGA modes w/ open GFW (works better w/ Intel GFW)
>       * GFW serial console support
>       * Increasing Xenheap (for sparse memory & increased vcpu limits)
>       * Increasing Xen page size (discussed a little at OLS)

What motivates this? I don't know the discussion.
I'm guessing the reason behind it.
- catching up linux deafult page size chage
- removing current pseudo physical addrese size limit
  Why not moving from 3 level p2m table to 4 level p2m table?
anyother reason?

>       * Remove hard limit on number of domains
>       * Removing number of vCPUs limit (maybe xenheap size related)
>       * Virtualized processor modules
>       * Improved performance & stability
>       * Merge with upstream Linux
>
> This is by no means a complete list, so please comment and add items
> that you feel are missing.  A number of these also don't have owners,
> they're just brainstorming ideas.  I look forward to comments and
> additions to the above.  Hopefully this can spark some discussion that
> can be continued at the summit.  Thanks,

Some random ideas. I hope they will help starting discussions.

        * NUMA emu (something like Linux x86_64 NUMA_EMU)
          This would be convenient for developing NUMA support on
          non-NUMA box.
        * scalability
          While some hard limit is there as Alex already mentioned,
          Does the current implementation of other part scale as we want?
          If no, which subsystem to rewrite?
        * debugging tools for xen vmm itself/tools stack/guest OS
          Currently we have Kexec/Kdump, xm dump-core, xenitp, and
          misc tools. Do we want any others?
          e.g. nested Xen or something like Linux 'crash /dev/kcore',
               Linux LTT, systemtap...
        * fast hypercall using gate page
        * super page/hugetlbfs support
        * PMU virtualization