Re: [Xen-ia64-devel] Protection key support for PV domains

To: Isaku Yamahata <yamahata@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-ia64-devel] Protection key support for PV domains
From: Dietmar Hahn <dietmar.hahn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 15:21:56 +0200
Cc: xen-ia64-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 06:19:36 -0700
Sender: xen-ia64-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

Am Freitag, 13. Juli 2007 schrieb Isaku Yamahata:
> struct mapped_regs is a part of ABI beween hypervisor and guest os
> so that the layout shouldn't be changed depending on configuration.
> Since there is no user of pkrs currently, eliminating pkrs[8]; or
> replacing pkrs[8];tmp[8]; with tmp[16]; or somethine like that
> would be fine.

Can I replace pkrs[8];tmp[8]; with pkrs[16] to use this for protection keys or
should I expand pkrs and leave tmp[8] untouched. How about changing the
layout - is this possible here?
In addition I would use a define for the number of pkrs. The only way to get
this is define it in arch-ia64.h for use from vmm and domU. Is this OK or is
there another solution possible?
Btw. I'll use Isaku's suggestion and will add a new hypercall to let vmm setup
the cpu-pkrs with the values the domU changed.
Thanks.

Dietmar.