[Xen-ia64-devel] Re: [patch] lindent dom_fw_foo code

To: Alex Williamson <alex.williamson@xxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-ia64-devel] Re: [patch] lindent dom_fw_foo code
From: Jes Sorensen <jes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 10:53:08 +0200
Cc: Isaku Yamahata <yamahata@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-ia64-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 25 May 2007 01:51:17 -0700
Sender: xen-ia64-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Alex Williamson wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-05-24 at 17:46 +0200, Jes Sorensen wrote:
>    I strongly prefer Linux indentation style to Xen/BSD and my "fixing"
> of indentation often shows my preference.  So far I've only insisted
> that patches should follow the indentation style of the surrounding
> code.  For new files, I've been happy to accept Linux style, but have a
> hard time rejecting patches using BSD style simply because it's the
> style the rest of Xen is based on.

Hi Alex,

I think my objection in this case was that the reformatting happend
as part of a file reorganization and the files were already nicely
formatted and these were files I have actively been looking at over
the last weeks. I think it's ok to reformat something if the file is
really badly formatted, either inconsistently or at a level where
it makes it almost impossible to maintain - like full of if() statements
with the action on the same line etc.

>    If we want to decide right now that anything under xen/arch/ia64 or
> xen/include/asm-ia64 uses Linux style formatting, I'm all for it.  We
> already have a significant amount of code from Linux which we can't
> reformat to BSD or we'll lose all hope of ever updating it again.  I
> also agree with the philosophy that 8 space tabs and 80 columns promotes
> better code by naturally identifying where the nesting gets too deep.
> I'll still require patches to match the style of the surrounding code,
> but all new files should use Linux style and I'll accept patches like
> this one that convert to Linux style.  Are there other opinions on this
> before we set a precedent?  Thanks,

My personal preference is Linux style too, both from a readability point
but also because it's more efficient in terms of file size. However I
think the key point is that we have large chunks of code carried over
from Linux and it's in our best interest to preserve those files in a
way to make them easy to maintain between both trees.

So I'd vote for Linux style for new files with the excemption that if
a file is owned by someone who is actively maintaining it, he/she
decides.

Cheers,
Jes