Re: [Xen-ia64-devel] [ANNOUNCE] Kexec for Xen on IA64 (Take III)

On Fri, 2007-02-16 at 17:29 +0900, Horms wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 15, 2007 at 05:32:46PM -0700, Alex Williamson wrote:
> >
> >    Thanks for your work on this.  I tried to give it a whirl on an HP
> > zx2000 system (UP, zx1, Madison).  Probably user error, but I can't get
> > kexec to accept the --append option when built as described in your
> > instructions.  It gives me this error:
>
> There is an rx2620 in our lab, which is currently being used
> for other development work. How close is that to the machine you have?
> I could probably steal some cycles on it if need be.

Hi Simon,

   Yes, rx2620 is very similar to zx2000.  The zx2000 is sort of the
single CPU, desktop version of the rx26xx systems.

> If so, is there any chance that you could send me your dom0 kernel
> config, just so that we are on the same page.

   Actually, I skipped the part about pruning down the config file, so
it's effectively what you get running oldconfig after applying the kexec
patches.  I enabled KEXEC, KDUMP, and VMCORE (even though I saw later
that one shouldn't matter).

> > # kexec -l --append "dom0_mem=1G -- root=/dev/hda2" --vmm "/boot/xen.gz"
> > "/boot/vmlinux.gz"
> > Cannot open `dom0_mem=1G -- root=/dev/hda2': stream error
>
> That is quite odd. I take it that you built kexec-tools by
> patching kexec-tools-testing 20061214 as outlined in the BUILD
> document. I'm pretty sure I tested this with --append "X -- Y", but
> I will recheck this.

   Yep, built from the tarball on an up-to-date Debian etch system.

> > So I went ahead and tried it w/o an append option... it nearly works!
> > The log is below.  Xen kexec'd, but dom0 panic'd.  I wasn't able to boot
> > my system with the phys_efi option, it hangs right after the vhpt_init
> > line.  I'll see if I can figure out what's going on there.  Thanks,
>
> Does phys_efi work on linux (w/o xen) for you? I sent patches
> to ia64-linux recently, I can send them your way if you like.
> I ask because I am intrigued to know if phys_efi (as currently
> implemented) works on your platform at all.

   I dunno, I'll give it a try.  I noticed later that there was some
kind of SAL error earlier in the log (I don't have the log atm to double
check).  I'll look over it again.  Thanks,

        Alex

--
Alex Williamson                             HP Open Source & Linux Org.