[Xen-ia64-devel] Re: blkbk/netbk modules fail to load on fedora xen/ia64

To: Akio Takebe <takebe_akio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-ia64-devel] Re: blkbk/netbk modules fail to load on fedora xen/ia64
From: Aron Griffis <aron@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 22:24:57 -0400
Cc: jean-paul.pigache@xxxxxxxx, "Silbermann, Martine" <martine.silbermann@xxxxxx>, David Cardos <david.cardos@xxxxxx>, xen-ia64-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 19:28:57 -0700
Sender: xen-ia64-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Akio Takebe wrote:  [Thu Sep 21 2006, 09:53:16PM EDT]
> I can solve this problem by using dom0_mem=1G.
> FC6 test3 uses many daemons and services.
> Because booting xend is late,
> we fail insmod blk/netbk if dom0_mem=512M(default size).

Wow, thank you!  That is a big relief.

> We may have to change dom0_mem of FC6 default to 1GB.
> But I think the best fix is (1) statically link the modules.
> (Because all kernel-xen need blkbk/netbk and xenblk/net.
> ide module is also static link. And because xen community member
> test the statically linked modules, I think the statically linked
> modules is stabler than the dynamic linked modlues.)

I don't mind asking RH to statically link the modules if there is good
reason.  However I don't understand why it is needed.  512M is a lot
of memory!  How can it be filled to the extent that the blkbk/netbk
modules won't load?  What are their requirements?

It is possible that knowing the dom0_mem=1G workaround will be enough
until Tristan's xencomm work is finished (I think he's almost done)

Thanks again,
Aron