RE: [Xen-ia64-devel] Keyboard and Mouse are disable in Xen0 terminal

To: "Tian, Kevin" <kevin.tian@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-ia64-devel] Keyboard and Mouse are disable in Xen0 terminal
From: Alex Williamson <alex.williamson@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 10:47:38 -0600
Cc: Isaku Yamahata <yamahata@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-ia64-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 09:48:16 -0700
Sender: xen-ia64-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Mon, 2006-06-19 at 21:04 +0800, Tian, Kevin wrote:
> Hi, Kangkang,
>       This phenomenon is rooted caused by Rev 10373 which adds
> mfn_to_local_pfn to xen/ia64. The problem is that this inline function
> is implemented on top of mfn_to_pfn (dummy passthrough) instead
> of mfn_to_pfn_for_dma, while the place to call mfn_to_local_pfn is in
> swiotlb. Not sure why only USB device is affected by this bug.

   My guess would be because it's a 32bit PCI device.  I tried another
system with a 32bit NIC and was not able to move any packets across it.

>       Yes, the quick solution can be to use mfn_to_pfn_for_dma version
> for now.

   I updated our version mfn_to_local_pfn() to use mfn_to_pfn_for_dma()
and things seem to be happier.  Thanks for tracking this down.  Having
this hypercall in the DMA path is, of course, highly undesirable.
Thanks,

        Alex

--
Alex Williamson                             HP Open Source & Linux Org.