RE: [Xen-ia64-devel]Found the lost memory.

On Tue, 2006-02-28 at 11:23 +0800, Xu, Anthony wrote:

> The problem is ia64_boot_param->domain_start may exceed max_page<<PAGE_SHIFT,
> Calling init_domheap_pages() to reclaim memory may cause machine crash.
>
> Another issue is:
> In file arch/ia64/linux-xen/efi.c
> // this is a temporary hack to avoid CONFIG_VIRTUAL_MEM_MAP
>               if (md->phys_addr >= 0x100000000) continue;
> This code segment will limit platform memory size less than 4G, if a platform
> has memory more than 4G, ia64_boot_param->domain_start may exceed 4G, due to
> efi allocate memory from high end to low end, VMM can't use
> init_domheap_pages()
> to reclaim this memory.
>
> The possible solution is to put correct code there, comment this code segment
> and add comments to describe this issue.
>
> Is this OK?

   Anything that flags the issue as a problem is an improvement IMHO.
Ideally we could do something that will automatically work when
max_pages is equal to the top of physical memory (hopefully that will
cover the efi.c hack as well).  Perhaps an ia64_init_domheap_pages()
wrapper that does the appropriate top of memory/max_pages check so we
can avoid changing xen common code.  When we have our ia64 specific
memory issues worked out, this wrapper could degenerate and go away.
Would something like that work?  Thanks,

        Alex