RE: [Xen-ia64-devel]Found the lost memory.

To: "Alex Williamson" <alex.williamson@xxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-ia64-devel]Found the lost memory.
From: "Xu, Anthony" <anthony.xu@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 11:23:29 +0800
Cc: xen-ia64-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 03:23:51 +0000
Sender: xen-ia64-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The problem is ia64_boot_param->domain_start may exceed max_page<<PAGE_SHIFT,
Calling init_domheap_pages() to reclaim memory may cause machine crash.

Another issue is:
In file arch/ia64/linux-xen/efi.c
// this is a temporary hack to avoid CONFIG_VIRTUAL_MEM_MAP
                if (md->phys_addr >= 0x100000000) continue;
This code segment will limit platform memory size less than 4G, if a platform
has memory more than 4G, ia64_boot_param->domain_start may exceed 4G, due to
efi allocate memory from high end to low end, VMM can't use
init_domheap_pages()
to reclaim this memory.

The possible solution is to put correct code there, comment this code segment
and add comments to describe this issue.

Is this OK?

Thanks,
Anthony