Re: [Xen-ia64-devel] "-Wall" option doesn't work

To: "Xu, Anthony" <anthony.xu@xxxxxxxxx>, <xen-ia64-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-ia64-devel] "-Wall" option doesn't work
From: Tristan Gingold <Tristan.Gingold@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 10:36:32 +0100
Delivery-date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 08:39:37 +0000
Sender: xen-ia64-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Le Jeudi 12 Janvier 2006 02:33, Xu, Anthony a écrit :
> Hi all,
>       I have been wondering why "-Wall" option doesn't work, and I had
> suffered much from this. Without -Wall, gcc will not complain about
> missing prototype etc., for example, assume function A return type is
> unsigned long, according to calling convention, if function A is called
> and there is no prototype, the return type will be int by default, which
> is 4 type. This kind of issue is hard to debug. Below small patch make
> "-Wall" take effect, seems "-w" overwrites "-Wall", then you recompile,
> you will find a lot of warning messages like redefinition, missing
> prototype etc. I would like to remove all these warning message, but all
> my hands are full.
I have already sent two patches enabling warnings.

The first one was very big (140KB) and Dan rejected it almost for this reason.

The second one was rather small (4KB) and fixed the most boring warnings (the
most obvious and those in .h files which appear in every file). It was not
accepted (without explaination).

I am not sure Dan is interested in warnings.

For sure, fixing warnings is *very* boring.  Some are in fact bugs: function
called with less arguments, very dubious casts...
I really think warnings must be enabled and the earlier is the better.

Tristan.