RE: [Xen-ia64-devel] metaphysical mode

To: "Magenheimer, Dan \(HP Labs Fort Collins\)" <dan.magenheimer@xxxxxx>, <xen-ia64-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-ia64-devel] metaphysical mode
From: "Yang, Fred" <fred.yang@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2005 19:18:40 -0800
Delivery-date: Fri, 02 Dec 2005 03:18:23 +0000
Sender: xen-ia64-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Magenheimer, Dan (HP Labs Fort Collins) wrote:
> I am honestly undecided so let me explain my thoughts.
>
> I am still in favor of testing multiple VHPT solutions.
> However, I don't think there are any functionality
> reasons why a per-VP VHPT is necessary, it is just
> a performance issue, correct?   And while multiple
> VHPT solutions may be necessary to accommodate different
> use models (e.g. scale-up vs scale-out), the differences
> can not be measured unless we have domU stable enough
> to benchmark large scale applications and/or capability to
> migrate domains between machines AND run SMP-guest.

This sounds like orthogonal issues.  Why different supports can't be
proceeded parallel with stability of DomainU?  Why it must be in
sequence?  This really bothers me!  Scalability is key factor for
Xen/ia64 big irons to achieve overall platform performance, we should
build the infrastructure for it ASAP in order to get system-wide
performance early.

However FAST_* can be more important than scalability features?

Why "Next phase of Xen/ia64 development" comments was asked?  Isn't that
to get the community consensus and members can contribute their efforts
into different area?