RE: [Xen-ia64-devel] metaphysical mode

To: "Magenheimer, Dan \(HP Labs Fort Collins\)" <dan.magenheimer@xxxxxx>, <xen-ia64-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-ia64-devel] metaphysical mode
From: "Yang, Fred" <fred.yang@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2005 11:52:38 -0800
Delivery-date: Thu, 01 Dec 2005 19:52:23 +0000
Sender: xen-ia64-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Dan,

We understand one approach is to do only needed for performance.  But
please understand the motivation was meant to consolidate code for
better maintenance in the future.

Specific to PSR.it/dt/rt patch, the code actually consolidate code from
multiple places.  So code size may even be smaller and easier to
maintain. ;-)  Though para-virt'd domains doesn't uses all of the modes
but the code sequence can be arranged not to impact para-virt'd domains
performance.

Will you take such patch if we also maintain FAST_* mechanism?

The reason we like to have correct guest PSR.it/dt/rt is for hooking up
per-VP VHPT for para-virt'd domains support.  Through this effort,
Xen/ia64 can have consistent VHPT models for either per-VP or global
VHPT table support during runtime.  This is very important for the SMP
work.

Comments?

-Fred