RE: [Xen-ia64-devel] Community effort neededtocatch upwithxen-unstable

To: "Magenheimer, Dan \(HP Labs Fort Collins\)" <dan.magenheimer@xxxxxx>, "Byrne, John \(HP Labs\)" <john.l.byrne@xxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-ia64-devel] Community effort neededtocatch upwithxen-unstable
From: "Tian, Kevin" <kevin.tian@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2005 09:58:13 +0800
Cc: xen-ia64-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 01 Sep 2005 01:56:10 +0000
Sender: xen-ia64-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>From: Magenheimer, Dan (HP Labs Fort Collins)
>
>Thanks, Kevin and John, for all your hard work to get
>this working again.
>
>I haven't looked closely at the patches (Kevin's, and
>John's which haven't yet been posted :-)...
>
>Are there any files changed that are NOT ia64-specific?
>I want to be very careful about putting files into
>xen-ia64-unstable.hg that, if pulled into xen-unstable.hg,
>might break Xen/x86.  These should probably be separate
>patches so Keir can look at them individually.

Agree that this should be careful. Due to in middle of the whole debug
process, the previous patches I sent out may contain some dirty code.
Once John gets his cleanup done, please send out and I'll cover the
rest:

- libxc: most code are in ia64 specific file or ifdef section. Several
lines to Makefile are necessary to promise ia64 compilation. There's
also change to one python script, to allocate one extra pfn for ia64.
I'll check today to see whether there's better way to do it.

- xen: most changes are from grant_table code merge, which I think
there's possibility to merge with common code without ifdef. (But let's
shoot for later). There's also a dirty hack about tot_pages, and I'll
clean it.

-xeno: Many ifdefs exist in this repository, which however is difficult
to change in current stage if the whole mechanism doesn't conform to x86
side (Mainly mean the guest va <-> guest pfn<->machine pfn). So agree
next step is to consider how to merge it into sparse tree.

Please help review.

Thanks
Kevin