Re: [Xen-devel] Re: Patches for VGA-Passthrough XEN 4.2 unstable

To: Tobias Geiger <tobias.geiger@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Re: Patches for VGA-Passthrough XEN 4.2 unstable
From: Liwei <xieliwei@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2011 20:59:46 +0800
Cc: xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 12 Sep 2011 06:02:44 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 12 September 2011 20:50, Tobias Geiger <tobias.geiger@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Am Freitag 09 September 2011, 13:31:19 schrieb Liwei:
>> Personally I'm having positive experiences with AMD cards. Currently
>> running two ATI 6870s in a 64-bit Windows 7 DomU. Best thing is,
>> they're working alright without any patches on xen-unstable. However,
>> similar to what you have experienced, DomU cannot be restarted in this
>> configuration. It can be fixed, but I haven't got the time to get down
>> to it.
>
> Can you elaborate a little further what needs to be done to fix this problem?
>
> It hits me nearly every day (windows still likes to reboot after nearly every
> windows update, so...).
>
> Best regards
> Tobias

Actually I'm living with it currently. Disabled automatic reboots and
manually reboot the system at a convenient time. It'll be sweet to fix
it, but I just don't have the time now.

I do know that reboots with VGA/PCI passthrough worked at one point in
the past with older kernel and xen versions, but something in the new
versions have broken that. So if you really need to and have the time,
try testing older (I think it was sometime in March or April)
versions.