Re: [Xen-devel] Is it possible to add new device type "my_device" like "

To: veerasena reddy <veeruyours@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Is it possible to add new device type "my_device" like "vif/vbd/..." on XEN
From: Wei Liu <liuw@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2011 14:01:56 +0800
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 13 Jul 2011 23:08:35 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 1:20 PM, veerasena reddy <veeruyours@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am working on an experiment to share a crypto processing offload device to
> multiple VMs (Pv-on-HVM).
> For this, I am looking to develop frontend and backend drivers similar to
> netfront and netback.
> I want to use different device type (may be "vcrypt") similar to "vif/vbd"
>
> Is it possible to add my own device types on XEN?
> If so, Could you please suggest how to do?

Yes, it is possible to do so.

You can use libxl to prepare Xenstore entries for you. Please refer to
libxl_device.c:libxl__device_generic_add, you may also find other
functions in libxl_device.c interesting. Of course, you also need to
design proper configuration syntax for your devices.

In the front end and back end, you can write xenbus drivers with
corresponding IDs to discover your devices. You can refer to existing
drivers for more information.

Hope this helps.

Wei.