Re: [Xen-devel] About the oprofile tools and related profiling tools

To: "Lv, Hui" <hui.lv@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] About the oprofile tools and related profiling tools
From: George Dunlap <George.Dunlap@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 10:44:33 +0100
Cc: "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 31 May 2011 09:43:40 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:sender:in-reply-to:references:date :x-google-sender-auth:message-id:subject:from:to:cc:content-type :content-transfer-encoding; bh=pOeXWVMAipP8lsPg04cpLGXP2YY+nnEfrsjxQC/RhgM=; b=BnA82cUajWGYkuNnf4DdSgN1ZeDytEQxrJfXPm1j0ivLyzXY7250j2bCj/DuFsPygD P4EMpxo83FF4KmBadxwiHVFrz16ekgIOBqNSiI3toowDHdMylF5mzdZvGJVYO2cvxtp8 AYR03QFDpcZf6XDuhybJtSPxCVVn7V4rFEFgo=
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Mon, May 30, 2011 at 4:25 AM, Lv, Hui <hui.lv@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I found the oprofile tools were not supported in PVOPS domain0(from jeremy’s
> tree). Someone has made the patch to enable it. When I applied such patch,
> xenoprofile can work. But the results were not trusted. (I think, part of
> this reason was due to xen, which changed the NMI handling way, but did not
> update the xenoprofile part)
>
> So my question is that, does anyone still maintain this tools? Or, do xen
> guys have a plan to enable more powerful profiling tools like ‘perf’ in
> native Linux or something else.
>
> One of my basic feeling about xen’s performance profiling tools is that the
> functional level profiling tools like oprofile were neglected recently.

Indeed, they have rather been.  I'd love xenoprofile to be in a better
working state, but unfortunately I simply don't have the time to work
on it.  But I'd be willing to do what I could to help someone who did
step up to make things work.

 -George