Re: [Xen-devel] About the oprofile tools and related profiling tools

To: "Lv, Hui" <hui.lv@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] About the oprofile tools and related profiling tools
From: Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk <konrad.wilk@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 10:35:42 -0400
Cc: "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 31 May 2011 07:48:39 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Mon, May 30, 2011 at 11:25:10AM +0800, Lv, Hui wrote:
> Hi, list
>
> I found the oprofile tools were not supported in PVOPS domain0(from jeremy's
> tree). Someone has made the patch to enable it. When I applied such patch,
> xenoprofile can work. But the results were not trusted. (I think, part of
> this reason was due to xen, which changed the NMI handling way, but did not
> update the xenoprofile part)

Hm, I don't think the Jeremy's tree had support for it.

Mike Petullo wrote a patch for the oprofile support and Xen for 2.6.39 kernels.

If you want to try it out, I would suggest you play with devel/next-2.6.39 in my
git tree git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/konrad/xen.git.

> So my question is that, does anyone still maintain this tools? Or, do xen
> guys have a plan to enable more powerful profiling tools like 'perf' in
> native Linux or something else.

Would love to, except that I don't think anybody has signed up for that yet.