Re: [Xen-devel] Re: 2.6.39-rc6 does not boot on Xen 3.3.1

--On 9 May 2011 09:44:11 +0100 Ian Campbell <Ian.Campbell@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Sat, 2011-05-07 at 18:50 +0100, Alex Bligh wrote:

--On 7 May 2011 18:31:49 +0100 Alex Bligh <alex@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> 2.6.39-rc6 does not boot on Xen 3.3.1. It hangs on the first
> line with Xen Platform PCI: unrecognised magic value.
>
> Is this intentional?

I expect 3.3.1 didn't support the unplug protocol. However the default
failure behaviour should be to continue with emulated devices and not
hang.

Indeed it did not, but 2.6.38 booted just fine, so something has changed.

If you have the platform device enabled (which you do not, according the
the .config below) then you can also cause the kernel to ignore the
requirement for unplug using the "xen_emul_unplug" kernel command line
option, assuming you are happy that you have ensured that the emulated
devices cannot be used by mistake.

Sure. But whatever the change is means standard vendor kernels with
standard boot lines will not run on 3.3.1.

Sorry, I should have been mode explicit:

A PV on HVM guest with CONFIG_XEN does not boot on Xen 2.6.39-rc6,
failing with the above error.

It's not really a PV on HVM guest since CONFIG_XEN_PLATFORM_PCI is
disabled.

I should have explained - I just got a stock set of Ubuntu kernel options,
compiled 2.6.39-rc6, and it won't boot on 3.3.1, whereas 2.6.38 does.
I know I can get it to boot.

Please can you capture a log of the kernel boot (e.g. setup the guest
kernel to use a serial console and use serial = "file:/tmp/blah.log" in
your guest cfg) and also show us your domU command line and guest cfg
file.

There was only one line of kernel output which was the one
I pasted! Just "Xen Platform PCI: unrecognised magic value" then
death.

Are you running a self-built 3.3.1 or is this some distro package?

It's a self-built version of the Centos package, with a minor
(and irrelevant) mod.

--
Alex Bligh