RE: [Xen-devel] use of struct hvm_mirq_dpci_mapping.gmsi vs. HVM_IRQ_DPC

To: Jan Beulich <JBeulich@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] use of struct hvm_mirq_dpci_mapping.gmsi vs. HVM_IRQ_DPCI_*_MSI flags
From: "Kay, Allen M" <allen.m.kay@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2011 13:27:19 -0700
Accept-language: en-US
Acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: Haitao Shan <maillists.shan@xxxxxxxxx>, "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 28 Apr 2011 13:28:19 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Jan,

Haitao and I had a discussion on this.

1) Proposed data structure change: looks good to us.

2) HVM_IRQ_DPCI_GUEST_MSI and HVM_IRQ_DPCI_MACH_MSI usage:  These are for
handle cases various combination of host and guest interrupt types -
host_msi/guest_msi, host_intx/guest_intx, host_msi/guest_intx.  The last one
requires translation flag.  It is for supporting non MSI capable guests.  The
engineer originally worked on this is no longer working on this project.  You
are welcome to clean up if necessary.  However, testing various host/guest
interrupt combinations and make sure everything still works is quite a bit of
work.

3) I believe the locking mechanism was originally implemented by
Espen@netrome(?) so we are not sure about why the unlock is needed between two
iterations.  We have also encountered several which we would like to clean up.
However, we left it as low priority task as the locking mechanisms are quite
complex and the amount of testing required after the cleanup is a quite a bit
of work.

Allen