Re: [Xen-API] Re: [Xen-devel] About XCP OpenNebula integration

To: Todd Deshane <todd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-API] Re: [Xen-devel] About XCP OpenNebula integration
From: Vincent Hanquez <vincent.hanquez@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2011 09:47:39 +0000
Cc: Tino Vazquez <tinova@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 02 Feb 2011 01:47:48 -0800
Sender: xen-api-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 02/02/11 05:08, Todd Deshane wrote:
On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 1:25 PM, Tino Vazquez<tinova@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
Dear list,

You're probably also going to want feedback from the xen-api list,
adding them to the CC.

We (the OpenNebula Team) are very interested in integrating OpenNebula
with XCP.

Great! We (Xen.org) are very interested in helping you with the process.

At the moment, OpenNebula can interface with the Xen
hypervisor, but since XCP appears to be much more than just Xen, I
would like to ask a couple of questions to the XCP developers in order
to define the direction we may take on this integration.

  * At the moment, ONE creates a text file that describes the VM in
terms that Xen understands, and this is processed by the "xm" command.

XCP has a near equivalent with the xl command, which uses the libxl
backend. Backwards compatibility (with the exception of being able to
use arbitrary python code embedded) is the goal.

sorry Todd, I think the suggestion is a bit misleading. That XCP use or not xl or libxl doesn't change anything on the frontend part.

Tino, surely by "interface with the Xen hypervisor" you mean opennebula talk with the Xend protocol (through xm). XCP is different, in that xend has been replaced by a more powerful and stable daemon, so xend and xm are not available anymore. However the Xen hypervisor is the same component as when you use xend.

xe is the only way to talk to the "xend" equivalent (called xapi) in XCP. It doesn't have the same text file approch, instead it use a more powerful RPC based method. the equivalent would be a sequence of "VM.create, VM.set .. VM.set, VBD.create, VIF.create ..."

And last bit, using xl in parallel with xapi is probably a good way to shoot yourself in the foot. One must certainly not try to xl create vm when xapi is running.

* Can we get access to the "xm" command on a XCP server? Is there ways
to access the built in Xen hypervisor? Or XCP is so different that
this is not possible?

see xl command from above.

It ultimately depends on what kind of access to the hypervisor you need.

--
Vincent