Re: [Xen-devel] 2.6.37 PV on HVM issues

On Thu, 2 Dec 2010, Alex Bligh wrote:
> Stefano,
>
> --On 2 December 2010 15:41:08 +0000 Stefano Stabellini
> <stefano.stabellini@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> [    0.000000] Hypervisor detected: Xen HVM
> >> [    0.000000] Xen Platform PCI: unrecognised magic value
> >> [    0.000000] Booting paravirtualized kernel on Xen
> >> [    0.800582] Initialising Xen virtual ethernet
> >> driver.
> >> [   13.980075] eth0: no IPv6 routers present
> >>
> >> The lines marked with asterisks are confusing to me as they appear to be
> >> in contradiction.
> >>

> > They mean that Linux recognized that it is running on Xen but the
> > platform pci device is too old to support the device unplug protocol,
> > therefore pv drivers have been disabled.
>
> OK. How modern a version of Xen am I meant to need to run 2.6.37?

You need xen 3.4 or later.

> This
> version of Xen supports non-inline pvdrivers fine.

They use hacks to disable the emulated interfaces that couldn't possibly
be upstreamed.

> > You can try to enable them anyway at your own risk passing
> > xen_emul_unplug=unnecessary to the kernel command line options.
>
> OK, so I get the following, which looks superficially nasty, but
> in fact suggests I need to unplug the disks. But the same happens
> with "xen_emul_unplug=unnecessary,all".

You could try specifying "xvda" instead of hda in the VM config file,
and make sure the root= command line option points to /dev/xvda1 so that
there is no confusion with possible emulated paths.
Or you could always disable the IDE driver or blkfront in the kernel.