[Xen-devel] RE: Ephemeral pages - Possible extension

To: Kaustubh Kabra <kaustubhwise@xxxxxxxxx>, Xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] RE: Ephemeral pages - Possible extension
From: Dan Magenheimer <dan.magenheimer@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2010 10:18:51 -0700 (PDT)
Delivery-date: Fri, 27 Aug 2010 10:20:55 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Kaustubh –

The ephemeral pages are clean pages that have been evicted

by any tmem-enabled guest OS due to memory pressure.  These

pages include not only executables but also many normal

files that are never written (such as source files in a compile)

or have been written awhile ago but may be used later (such

as object files from a compile that are later used by the linker).

There have been a number of attempted implementations

of more general page sharing in Xen (similar to KSM for KVM).

See “Difference Engine” by Diwaker Gupta and the many

papers it references.  A version of “Satori” (Gregor Milos)

is in Xen 4.0.  Pointers to these can be found here:

http://www.xen.org/community/xenpapers.html

These papers discuss the challenges... the biggest one is

that CoW must work even if there is no more memory available,

which requires some form of “host swapping” capability.

In tmem, since ephemeral pages can be discarded at any

time, this CoW problem does not occur and tmem deduplication

is much easier to implement.

Dan