[Xen-devel] Ephemeral pages - Possible extension

To: Xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] Ephemeral pages - Possible extension
From: Kaustubh Kabra <kaustubhwise@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2010 11:26:24 +0530
Cc: Dan Magenheimer <dan.magenheimer@xxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 26 Aug 2010 22:59:39 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:received:date:message-id :subject:from:to:cc:content-type; bh=C29RMmfvzgsmuhrRta8NMtLCxuKJobI1Mej02ZbpxTA=; b=kDskczDs4+M+ncQsiSU0cmYUly+VCndH+Yhhlz6xnGLElgHfy7jPXd+uBxzmMZEox1 KOK7U4dKYh5FlWRFnSnBMqM0GyUh1pmRP3rObfEZ4MFIIZk5DR226DG3mx6Dpb6zkdVi 0FSS0XCijVkKoaQlALfxm5WgClAg9omEnGEZY=
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Dan,

Yes, we have been thinking of implementing common-page sharing for
multiple guest OSes for Xen. This will be similar to the way KVM
benefits because of the KSM feature in the Linux kernel.

I found your patch for sharing ephemeral pages in the same tmem pool while
searching further on the same topic. As I understand it the ephemeral pages
are the pages that are read-only, i.e. txt section of executables etc. Is this
understanding correct?

Now that this is in place, I was thinking about extending this further
to all the pages in the Guest OS's memory and use COW for read-write
pages. I have started reading up the tmem architecture document and
also your patch to have a better understanding of the system. Once I
have digested this, I'll come up with a proposal towards the same.

Do you have any thoughts on the concept / anticipated roadblocks ?

Thanks,

--
Kaustubh Kabra
http://www.kaustubhwise.000a.biz