[Xen-devel] Xen 3.0.3 tap:aio disk image fails on RAID5/XFS filesystem

To: <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] Xen 3.0.3 tap:aio disk image fails on RAID5/XFS filesystem
From: Steven Haigh <netwiz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 14:01:17 +1000
Delivery-date: Mon, 26 Apr 2010 21:02:23 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi all,

Upon bashing my head against a wall trying to get Xen working on my new
hardware I came across an interesting discovery. Every install using
virt-install was failing and I could only use the file: access method for
my DomUs. Every time I tries to use tap:aio the guest would error on boot
saying it couldn't find the root partition.

My system is as follows:
OS: CentOS 5.4
Xen: 3.0.3-94.el5_4.3
/ = 2 x 80Gb HDDs, dmraid1, ext3
/mnt/raid = 3 x 1Tb HDDs, dmraid5, xfs

On whim, I moved the DomU images from /mnt/raid/vm-images to /vm-images
and instantly tap:aio worked again.

This brings me to my question:

Why would tap:aio fail when the images are on an XFS/RAID5 filesystem but
work correctly when on a RAID1/ext3 filesystem?

To me, this seems like a bug.

--
Steven Haigh

Email: netwiz@xxxxxxxxx