Re: [Xen-devel] Q on ioctl support in netfront/netback

On Mon, 2010-02-15 at 10:54 -0500, ravi kerur wrote:
> Paul,
>
> Registers are not in netback, they are h/w registers on NIC and the
> driver supports reads/writes via ioctl calls. Driver is in dom0 and
> application which reads/writes registers is run in domU.

Why do you want to map or preserve some register interface?

Is this some sort of hardware multiplex? As Konrad pointed out, in that
case a PV driver is probably the wrong approach altogether.

If what you want is just a bunch of extended control plane attributes,
rather consider mapping them to xenstore.

That's slightly more asynchronous and probably not a great option if you
need a synchronous interface. Especially if you need individual return
values, not just a bunch of fields to write into.

If the latter case, next option would be some dedicated shared memory
structure. But it's hard to imagine something like that to make
sense. :}

Daniel