Re: [Xen-devel] build problems

To: Justin Ferguson <jnferguson@xxxxxxxxx>, "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] build problems
From: Keir Fraser <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2009 09:11:09 +0000
Delivery-date: Tue, 29 Dec 2009 01:11:30 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 29/12/2009 06:24, "Justin Ferguson" <jnferguson@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On boot it informs me that I need to use bzImage v2.08 instead of
> v2.04. After some digging around, what it looks like to me is that xen
> at some point was brought up to use v2.08 of the boot protocol and
> this was never backported to the 2.6.18.8 kernel (v2.05 was released
> in 2.6.20). This of course won't work (is there absolutely no one
> actually using the default and supported option?). So I elected to use
> the vmlinux/zImage version and I get the 'error: no multiboot header'
> from grub (for both multiboot & linux directives). I get this for the
> kernel that pulls down from mercurial and the tarball on the website.

I think you are setting up the bootloader incorrectly. What bootloader are
you using? If GRUB, you need a config entry like:
title XEN
  root (hd0,1)
  kernel /boot/xen.gz
  module /boot/vmlinuz-xen <kernel params>
  module /boot/initrd-xen

You get the idea. The main message here is that *Xen* is the kernel, not
Linux dom0. Linux kernel is specified as the first module; initrd as the
second module (if you have an initrd).

You can most assuredly use a 2.6.18 bzImage for dom0 -- Xen knows what to do
with it. Your problem in all cases is I think that you tried to boot dom0
kernel directly, without loading Xen as the kernel from grub's p.o.v.

This type of of question should go to the xen-users list, by the way.

 -- Keir