Re: [Xen-devel] Problems booting latest xen pv-ops linux kernel

To: Goswin von Brederlow <goswin-v-b@xxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Problems booting latest xen pv-ops linux kernel
From: Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 09:10:44 +0200
Cc: Xen Developers List <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 23:11:10 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 12:18:01AM +0100, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I followed http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenParavirtOps
> to build a bleeding edge linux kernel with
>
>   git clone git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/jeremy/xen.git
> linux-2.6-xen
>
> I build the kernel for amd64 and installed Debians
> xen-hypervisor-3.4-amd64 package and bootet. Xen comes up nicely and
> starts the kernel. It detects my SATA disk (sata_sil driver) but then
> fails to read block 0. Something in xen breaks the sata_sil driver.
>
> Booting the kernel as bare-metal works fine.
>
> Anyone an idea what is wrong? The wiki lists a few problems (e.g. on
> 32bit use CONFIG_HIGHPTE=n) but nothing for 64bit. Anything config
> option known to have sideeffects?

You could try my .config:

cd linux-2.6-xen
cp -a .config .config-old
wget -O .config
http://pasik.reaktio.net/xen/pv_ops-dom0-debug/config-2.6.31.4-pvops_dom0-x86_64
make oldconfig
<continue as usual>

That .config works for me on x86_64. It's based on Fedora 12 kernel
config.

-- Pasi