Re: [Xen-devel] hypervisor memory usage

To: Vladimir Zidar <mr_w@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] hypervisor memory usage
From: Chris Lalancette <clalance@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 14:18:27 +0100
Cc: "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 06:18:49 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Vladimir Zidar wrote:
> Sounds possible. However it would be great if there was switch to
> disable that feature in case hardware is not capable of VT-d, as I'd
> rather use those 300mb than have software support for something that I
> can't actually use.

In point of fact, VT-d is disabled by default; you need to explicitly enable it
for it to use memory.  However, it's possible that there's a bug, or some other
change caused the memory difference, so it's worthwhile to try and track it down
a little better.  In particular, you jumped from the 5.2 kernel to the 5.4, so
it would be worthwhile to try the 5.3 kernel and see what you get.

--
Chris Lalancette