[Xen-devel] vtsc in domain builder

To: "Xen-Devel (E-mail)" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] vtsc in domain builder
From: Dan Magenheimer <dan.magenheimer@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 14:57:53 -0700 (PDT)
Delivery-date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 14:58:46 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I'm working on passing vtsc=[0|1] (rdtsc emulation) from
the vm.cfg file into xen.

I was using the superpages vm.cfg implementation as a guide,
but I see the domain builder interface for superpages changed
in c/s 19963 to pass the value via a flag in a pad byte in
struct xc_dom_image.  Was this change due to some backward
compatibility reason?  This looks like a nicer interface,
but is there another pad byte I can/should use?  If not,
what's the best way then to pass the vtsc value from the
tools to Xen?

Also, will I be able to use the same interface for both
HVM and PV, or should I use the HVM param interface for
HVM domains (using the HPET parameter as a model)?

Thanks,
Dan