Re: [Xen-devel] Cpu pools discussion

To: Keir Fraser <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Cpu pools discussion
From: Zhigang Wang <zhigang.x.wang@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 08:29:43 +0800
Cc: Tim Deegan <Tim.Deegan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, George Dunlap <dunlapg@xxxxxxxxx>, Dan Magenheimer <dan.magenheimer@xxxxxxxxxx>, "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Juergen Gross <juergen.gross@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 17:30:18 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Keir Fraser wrote:
> On 28/07/2009 16:29, "Dan Magenheimer" <dan.magenheimer@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Currently this is done with pinning, but pinning
>> does restrict the flexibility of a multi-vcpu VM.
>> Affinity seems like it should help, but affinity
>> doesn't restrict the VM from running on a non-affinitive
>> pcpu (does it?)
>
> Yes it does. VCPUs only run on PCPUs in their affinity masks.
>
>  -- Keir

I'm wondering is there some performance difference between these
two scenario:

1) vcpu0 pinned to pcpu0, vcpu1 pinned to pcpu1.
2) vcpu0 and vcpu1 affined to pcpu0 and pcpu1 but not pinned.

Currently we have to explicitly pin *every* vcpu to get true hard partitioning.

We are seeking for a better solution, whether it will be in the hypervisor or
just
user space tools. But seems the cpu pool concept is attractive.

thanks,

zhigang