[Xen-devel] network misbehaviour with gplpv and 2.6.30

To: <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] network misbehaviour with gplpv and 2.6.30
From: "James Harper" <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2009 13:42:11 +1000
Cc: Andrew Lyon <andrew.lyon@xxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 20:42:45 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
With GPLPV under 2.6.30, GPLPV gets the following from the ring:

ring slot n (first buffer):
 status (length) = 54 bytes
 offset = 0
 flags = NETRXF_extra_info (possibly csum too but not relevant)
ring slot n + 1 (extra info)
 gso.size (mss) = 1460

Because NETRXF_extra_info is not set, that's all I get for that packet.
In the IP header though, the total length is 1544 (which in itself is a
little strange), but obviously I'm not getting a full packet, just the
ETH+IP+TCP header.

According to Andrew Lyon it works fine in previous versions, so this
problem only arises on 2.6.30. I don't know if netfront on Linux suffers
from a similar problem.

I can't identify any changes that could cause this, but if the problem
is in netback either the frags count isn't being set correctly, or
skb->cb (which appears to be used temporarily to hold nr_frags) is
becoming corrupt (set to 0) somehow, but the window where this could
occur is very small and I can't see where it could happen.

Any suggestions as to where to start looking?

(one nice thing is that I have identified a crash that would occur when
the IP header lied about its length!)

Thanks

James