[Xen-devel] Differences in pausing a domain and suspending a domain

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] Differences in pausing a domain and suspending a domain
From: ADITYA KRISHNAN <akrishn7@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 21:51:16 -0400
Delivery-date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 18:52:46 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:sender:received:date :x-google-sender-auth:message-id:subject:from:to:content-type; bh=o1xfHLMW4BAv+97vwHDnGfcf8odcvprq6VBn68jfOmU=; b=hKpOTLMl58wZhUodq16o6+Dl8NtXvkzsBnUx+/8dn88DaMAKEIF0V2hJ5JkXmkyyvK CIuy7vThEELX31Q+IWz6vw8bUi7lrp+QBNP4rObxrnLBDHVwjyi1XaIhVzTtecbe5uWH 0t3/srBrp/snQh3npJ6EkVcbw7fF4SKA/97rU=
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

I am just trying to do a comparative study between suspending a domain and pausing a domain.
I know that during migration the xc_domain_save.c issues a suspend_and_state() which places a suspend key on the xenstore which is "watched" by the guest.
Guest disconnects itself from devices
– Unplugs all but first CPU
– Disables interrupts
– Pins page tables of all processes into RAM
– Prepares a suspend record - the xen_start_info
structure, with the address of store and console
pages converted to PFN, so that restore can
rewrite them on restore
– Makes a suspend hypercall that does not return

I know that the suspend record necessary for restoring the domain is constructed only in the suspend call and not when pausing the domain.

I would like to know if any of the above steps are performed by the xc_domain_pause().  I know that xc_domain_pause() makes sure that the particular domain is not scheduled. But I want to  know wether pausing a domain also causes the guest to pin all its page tables to RAM ?

I would be glad if someone could throw light on the differences between suspending and pausing a domain.

Thank You.

 Aditya