Re: [Xen-devel] Re: [5 Patches] Synchronize blktap with citrix blktap2.

To: Ben Guthro <ben.guthro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Re: [5 Patches] Synchronize blktap with citrix blktap2.
From: Dutch Meyer <dmeyer@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2009 13:25:30 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 03 Apr 2009 13:25:55 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
It seems that the "readonly" flag was removed...but I can't seem to find
much documentation, or examples on how this might be used, so I might be
way off base here

Internally, the flag changed to TD_OPEN_RDONLY, but that shouldn't have any effect from a user perspective. Normal usage shouldn't be changed from the original blktap, you should be able to boot tap disks just as before.

Internally, the other tap drivers have all been updated to take advantage of the new (and simplified) API. If you take a look there you'll see the updates.

The introduction of the new blktaplib.h does introduce a significant
number of new warnings to the qemu build though.

This is unexpected, but I see now how it could happen under certain conditions. I will fix this today by NOT installing the "new" blktaplib.h into /usr/include. This will ensure that anyone who has build anything with #include <blktaplib.h> dependencies will continue to see the old version, which should be appropriate until the old blktap is fully removed.

--Dutch