[Xen-devel] Re: [5 Patches] Synchronize blktap with citrix blktap2.

To: Ben Guthro <ben.guthro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] Re: [5 Patches] Synchronize blktap with citrix blktap2.
From: Dutch Meyer <dmeyer@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2009 08:28:15 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 03 Apr 2009 08:28:39 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
You've got the right idea, but it's no problem. If you're using blktap2 (eg tap:tapdisk:aio:...) the usermode scripts will create a new udev device for the guest to mount. This is entirely orthogonal to qemu, so there's no problem.

If the qemu folks wanted to use blktap2 they could have the guest mount a blktap2 disk like it was any other raw device. However, they've decided to instead replicate the original blktap functionality in their own code base. So if you're using qemu's blktap you're not using blktap2. Again, not a problem.

--Dutch